RFC: branch -b should be switch --new?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Jul 19 02:10:32 BST 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-18 at 19:08 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> So the long form is "bzr switch --create-branch" the original idea was
> "switch and branch" which was really meant as "branch and switch", but I
>  felt putting the argument on switch worked better.

Ergg, I managed to get confused - I thought it was on branch for some
reason. I agree that putting it on switch is better.

> As for '--new', I think --create-branch is actually more descriptive and
> accurate. --new is shorter, but if you want shorter, I'd prefer a short
> arg, and I couldn't think of anything better than '-b'.

So, I think the thing I'd like to tweak is to make the long form
compatible with the conceptual use of this flag in pipelines, looms and
other such meta-branch structures. --new is a proposal to do that, by
removing the object type thats created from the argument name.

-Rob