RFC: branch -b should be switch --new?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sun Jul 19 00:28:28 BST 2009

Robert Collins wrote:
> Or possibly present as both.
>
> I think though that 'branch -b' is awkward to remember, and the main
> point of this use case seems to be to switch with a new object.
>
> For instance, in a loom I'd like switch --new to make a new thread. This
> is currently 'bzr create-thread', but perhaps that command could get
> deleted in favour of using the switch interface/branch -b interface. I
> imagine pipelines have a similar need.

+1

I think --new describes the action taken pretty well. "bzr switch -b"
vaguely reminds me of "git checkout -b" which does something similar. It
could also be short for --"bzr branch", but that's still a bit confusing
because even without -b you could be switching to a different bzr branch.

Cheers,

Jelmer