RFC: bzr rm is hard to use

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Thu Jul 16 12:03:21 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:58:56PM -0400 I heard the voice of
Aaron Bentley, and lo! it spake thus:
> Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> > That sounds ok to me. I'd also settle for something realy simple like:
> >
> > * bzr rm - unversion the file
> > * bzr rm --delete - unversion the file and delete it from disk
>
> I prefer your simple version, 'cause it's easy to understand and I've
> always said "remove --keep" should be the default.

For a data point, I've had rm aliased to rm --keep ever since its
behavior was changed away from doing that by default.  I can always
use the OS rm(1) if I want to unversion-and-delete.

rm either always removing the file or never removing the file are both
consistent and predictable.  DWIM'ing when to remove and when not is
just begging for trouble, and I think that begging has borne fruit
since it began.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net