Roadmap for supporting parallel import of files

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jul 15 21:49:13 BST 2009

So I think in essence supporting parallel imports requires:
- some UI to tell bzr 'foo-id' and 'bar-id' are the same object
- some way to apply this decision without having a disconnected file
  graph

And it would be hugely desirable for there to be some way to propogate
the decisions to other branches, because if people are telling bzr the
same thing multiple times, they may make different decisions.

The main headache I see with a history editing approach is that by its
very nature it won't propogate (unless the older history is still
referenced by using a history-preserving-edit). In fact, without
propogation it will operate almost identically to just re-running the
import with more history available.

Doing a single branch history edit to say 'foo-id is bar-id' is pretty
easy through bzrlib.

James, I thought the plan with Ubuntu imports was to just reimport once
more history was reliably importable. A Kansas two-step as Mark said.

-Rob