Idiomatic working

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Jul 15 17:42:42 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 08:54:35AM -0700 I heard the voice of
Guy Gascoigne-Piggford, and lo! it spake thus:

> The only reason that I have a checkout of the upstream branch is so
> that I can merge to and from it.  I don't expect to make changes to
> it for any other reason since I'll always make my changes in a
> separate local branch.  If there was a way to reliably merge and
> apply my changes from my local dev branch to the upstream branch
> without using a local checkout, I'd probably use it, but if there
> is, I think that I missed it.

A checkout _is_, idiomatically, exactly what you want for that case.
You want to make changes to the upstream branch.  Leaving hooking into
bzrlib with a script and related magic to one side, you do that by
making changes in a working tree for the branch and committing them.
Checkout gives you a working tree for the branch.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net