corrupt deltas and dirstate corruption

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Jul 10 07:47:57 BST 2009

I've just landed (rev 4524) a patch which increases safety in using
inventory deltas. I have plenty more to do in this area; but I'd like to
encourage anyone debugging inventory or dirstate oddities to ensure they
have merged rev 4524 into their tree: If the corruption is one of the
types I've added checks for (e.g. parents that are files, or parents
that don't exist) then a InconsistentDelta error will be raised. This
should make things error earlier and not lead to corruption on disk.

Additionally, if you *do* have a situation where corruption can be
caused by applying an inventory delta, please make sure there are *two*
bugs: one for the code thats creating a bad delta, and a second for the
fact that the badness isn't detected.

There are docs about this general concept and issue in the developer
'inventory' documentation.

-Rob