Relitive paths with ssh

hessiess at hessiess.com hessiess at hessiess.com
Wed Jul 8 11:25:09 BST 2009

> 2009/7/8  <hessiess at hessiess.com>:
>> Yep, I worked that out after the last post. It also makes it virtually
>> imposable to checkout the latest revision into the web root. Uploading
>> the
>> entire file simply isn't an option for me as I end up spending more time
>> waiting for stuff to upload than actually coding. Im probably going to
>> end
>> up using SVN unless someone has any other suggestions, at least it has
>> decent support for webdav, removing the need for proxy tunnelling and
>> such
>> like.
>
> Hang on a bit, this seems very unrelated to supporting
> homedir-relative paths and I don't understand precisely what you're
> trying to do, or what you mean by 'uploading the entire file'.
>
> You want the contents of the branch visible on the web server.
>
> It's not clear to me whether you want the branch history stored there
> too, or whether you want to pull it onto the web server from some
> other machine. If it's the second, you just need to create the right
> checkouts on the server then periodically run 'bzr update' in them to
> update the tree.

As I work on several computers, I want everything to be on the web server,
simplifying synchronisation. It should behave so that making a commit will
automatically check out a copy of the latest revision, and the
repositories are stored in the web root, using Apache to hide .bzr.

> The limitation with ssh urls (pending
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/109143 being finished and
> merged) is just that you can't directly refer to the home directory.
> You can certainly do bzr+ssh://user@host/home/user/thing

Each project has its own user account with the home directory set to the
relivent directory in the web root, sure you can specify it manually, but
that just seams to be specifying the same thing twice. Good to hear that
it is being fixed.