[win32] bzr ignore patterns with path separators?

Philippe Lhoste PhiLho at GMX.net
Wed Jul 8 06:47:33 BST 2009

On 08/07/2009 04:06, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> If you did:
>
>  Debug
>
> Then it would ignore all paths named "Debug".

So the / I saw at the end of directories to ignore is... ignored?
I thought it was used to exclude dir names while keeping file names but
this usage doesn't work.
I suppose this practice is actually a kind of visual notation.

I take the opportunity to ask a question I was meaning to ask for quite
some time.

When I tried Mercurial (briefly) before setting for Bazaar, one of the
first things I tried, of course, is to go to some deep source hierarchy
and do 'hg status' to see what goes to the repository.
With this command, I got a rather long listing, that I could redirect to
a file, load in an editor, or in a diff program if I want to see the
influence of ignore parameters.
It is excellent to experiment "safely" with patterns in .bzrignore (or
.hgignore).

With Bazaar, I get only the first level of the directory... :-(

I understand it is related to the fact that directory are first-class
citizens in Bazaar, and it is fine as default behavior, I suppose.
But might I suggest that in some future version, you add some option to
recurse into unversioned directories and report files (and dirs) that
would be versioned by a 'bzr add' command?

I see there is a -R option to ls, but actually even with that it won't
go into unversioned directories.

Last remark, about bzr_man.html.
I went straight to the 'add' section (skipping, of course, all the
useful literature above...) and was surprised not to see any reference
to 'ignore' in the See also: section, nor to .bzrignore
Likewise, the 'ignore' section doesn't mention 'add'.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France