Preserving metadata for blame/praise through whitespace changes

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 02:40:40 BST 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:21 AM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com>wrote:

> It isn't something that you can do now, but adding a "bzr annotate
> - --ignore-whitespace" is something that I would like to eventually get to
> with my refactoring of annotate.
>
> I'm currently in the process of restructuring the code (at the moment
> just to make it faster), but I have in mind to allow various policy
> parameters such as:
>
> 1) Ignore whitespace
> 2) Mainline commits only (so you get an annotation of when things
> *landed* not when they were committed)
> 3) I already have support for tracking more than one source revision (so
> if someone does a cherrypick, you can potentially see that both the
> original and the cherrypick introduced this text.)
>
> Keep an eye on:
>  lp:~jameinel/bzr/1.17-rework-annotate
>
> I probably won't do --ignore-whitespace as part of landing that branch,
> but when I implement it, I'm sure it will be built from there.

Impressive.  Years ago, one of my coworkers asked one of the commercial vcs
vedors (no names here!) for less than half of that functionality.  The
vendor told him to go take a hike.  The bzr team rocks!  It would be nice if
the current behavior remained the default, tho.

~M