Error running tests for plugins . . .

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Mon Jul 6 07:46:38 BST 2009

<snip/>

    >> # Obvious highest levels prefixes, feel free to add your own via a plugin
    >> test_prefix_alias_registry.register('bd', 'bzrlib.doc')
    >> test_prefix_alias_registry.register('bu', 'bzrlib.utils')
    >> test_prefix_alias_registry.register('bt', 'bzrlib.tests')
    >> test_prefix_alias_registry.register('bb', 'bzrlib.tests.blackbox')
    >> test_prefix_alias_registry.register('bp', 'bzrlib.plugins')

    Russel> I guess this needs to be someone on a page "New
    Russel> hackers read this", massively useful stuff.

Hmm, maybe a pointer from the option help to the sources... The
intended audience is devs, but devs tend to not read help (like
real men) so...

    Russel> [ . .  .]
    Russel> File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/bzrlib/plugins/upload/tests/test_upload.py", line 44, in <module>
    Russel> test_transport_implementations.TransportTestProviderAdapter):
    Russel> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'TransportTestProviderAdapter'
    >>
    >> Bad upload plugin ! Using deprecated test classes ! Oh wait, the
    >> plugin has been updated long ago, time to update your copy !

    Russel> OK, I was at fault here in the sense that as I am
    Russel> running bzr.dev I should also be running head of all
    Russel> the plugins instead of using the ones in the Jaunty
    Russel> release.  I have no branched lp:bzr-upload.

    >> And nag that plugin maintainer to release a new version !

    Russel> It does seem to me that In Bazaar historical terms, each Ubuntu release
    Russel> is ancient history as son as it is released.

That's right, tests take time and sold be done on a stable set.

    Russel> Currently there seems to be a view with plugins that
    Russel> either you use the distribution version or head --
    Russel> which is fine in itself, except that bzr has
    Russel> introduced the updated package as a third
    Russel> (intermediate) thing.

Excellent description !

    Russel> So bzr, bzrtools, bzr-svn get packaged in the Bazaar
    Russel> PPA.  Other plugins definitely need packaging here --
    Russel> for example bzr-rebase, since the version in Jaunty
    Russel> is inconsistent with bzr-svn on Bazaar PPA.

And you're right again here.

    Russel> There is not a problem here per se, but by having all
    Russel> the plugins in Jaunty (and other distributions?) have
    Russel> their latest version in the Bazaar PPA we would
    Russel> improve the user experience for those between
    Russel> "distribution as it comes" and "bzr.dev and head
    Russel> addicts", i.e. people who want to work with packages
    Russel> but want to work with the latest release.

And I fully agree here too.

Of course having a way to include a defined set of plugins in a
test farm will help... ;-)

     Vincent