Call for translations & QA for bzr-explorer 0.4

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Sat Jul 4 10:59:09 BST 2009

Philippe Lhoste пишет:
> Some feedback on the translation side.
> I used Launchpad's interface to start the French translation.
> I liked it, particularly the fact to leverage the community translation
> from all projects.
> With the 0.4 release, I was reminded to complete the translation.
> I just updated it, but it isn't finished yet, there are some technical
> words I am not too sure how to translate (I don't feel Push and Pull
> should be translated naively to Pousser and Tirer, and not sure how to
> translate Checkout).

When translating on Russian I'm keeping some terms (bzr commands) as is, especially in toolbar.

> I found the Web interface to be less interesting for such update: I
> wanted to revise some translations as well as adding new ones. I wanted
> to use the feedback of the new version (seeing my translations in place)
> and found out I couldn't use the search feature.
> So I used instead the export feature to .po format. I find the e-mail
> step useless and annoying. Why can't we download the file directly? Does
> it take time to generate it?
> I used POEdit to revise the translation, with the added advantage to see
> the results in place at the small cost of a restart.

For complex cases I found this way is much better, because I can see how it looks in real application.

> One think that annoy me in this Gettext idea, it the lack of information
> on the strings: are they for a button, a tooltip, a field label, a
> dialog title, etc.? Depending on placement, capitalization, among other
> things, is different. For some elements, the presence of accelerator (&)
> is a hint, but not enough.

Actually there is some context information. If you look at po file then you should see comments for
each string, like this:

#: lib\explorer.py:1150
msgid "Welcome"
msgstr ""

The comment "#: lib\explorer.py:1150" tells you that such strings is found in file lib\explorer.py
at the line 1150. Looking at sources you can see something about context.

It's not ideal, but at least we have something.

> Likewise, some strings can be translated differently depending on
> context. For example Update.
> As a dialog title, it is a noun, I will translate it as Mise à jour.
> As a menu item, it is a verb, translated to Mettre à jour.
> None can be translated to Aucun or Aucune, depending on what is absent.
> And so on. Having only one translation per string might be limiting.

Yep, this is THE problem.

Actually Qt has its own support for translations, and it potentially could have more context info
about translated strings and even comments for translators. But today we don't use this system,
mostly because I think Launchpad translation web interface is very good and easy. While native Qt
approach will require special translation application called Linguist.

> Back to Bazaar Explorer, it is nice it memorizes the window size I have
> chosen, but I would appreciate it restores also the window position.

File this wishlist as a bug report in QBzr, please.