RFC: iter_changes with specific_files, status and commit

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Jun 26 15:21:23 BST 2009

John Szakmeister wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
>> 2009/6/26 John Szakmeister <john at szakmeister.net>:
>>> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> It's a bit weird for the user to provide a path asking about the
>>> status of X, and then having the command also tell you the status of
>>> Y.  That seems like a behavior we're going to have to explain to them.
>>>  Is it a big deal?  Perhaps not.  Is it unintuitive?  Definitely.
>> You asked for the status of b, and you're told some files that were
>> moved into b (or out of b.)  It might not be exactly what you expected
>> but it's not very surprising to me.
>
> Yeah, I guess that's a better way of putting it.  I wouldn't expect
> that output, but I can certainly understand why it's telling me about
> it.

Not really, you asked about the status of "c" which happened to be in "b".

I would say moreso under something like:

c/
bzr add b/
bzr mv c b
cd b/c
bzr status .
or even
cd b/c/d/
bzr status .

Because you are wanting to look at the files inside 'd' that changed,
and now it is going to tell you that ../../../b was recently added.

>> And of course it would be nice to have this come about by reducing
>> code divergence between commit and status, as is already happening
>> with iter_changes focussed patches.
>
> I can certainly appreciate the value of reducing code divergence. :-)
>
> -John

Anyway, it is a minor thing, and having "status" show you what "commit"
is going to do is reasonable.

I'm not sure whether "bzr commit b/c/d/" will or won't commit the
rename. My guess is that it would, though potentially it wouldn't have
to. (the set you are asking for doesn't strictly include 'c', outside of
it being one of the parents.)

Just a thought,