tags in bzr.dev

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jun 22 15:25:39 BST 2009

Martin Pool wrote:
> 2009/6/21 Maritza Mendez <martitzam at gmail.com>:
>> I understand that nothing can (and does not need to be) perfectly
>> synchronized, so this is a question not a bug.
>>
>> When I noticed that there is already a 1.16 installer for Windows, I assumed
>> I would find a tag for the 1.16 release in bzr.dev.
>>
>> But when I did
>>
>>     bzr pull
>>     bzr tags | grep '1.16'
>>
>> all I got was
>>
>>     bzr-1.16rc1          4431.1.3
>>
>> I also see that there seem to be no tags at all for 1.13 and 1.14.
>
> I believe there is an as-yet undiagnosed problem with propagation of
> tags through pqm.  (Robert may know more.)  I'm not sure why there are
> some tags and not others.

You can't tag a release until PQM has finished merging, testing, and
committing it. So you can't have a release tag "right away".

The way we tend to get them in there is by someone else (like me) having
created the tag in my 'jam-integration' branch, and then having that
merged at some later time.

The other way to do it is for whoever merges a release back to trunk. So
when they pull their local copy to update it, they then tag it, and
submit a copy of that branch to pqm for merging. (note that you still
don't get 'bzr-1.16' on the official http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.1.16
branch...)

I think PQM has actually been fixed WRT propagating tags. It was just a
bug that PQM was doing ".fetch()" directly and not directly requesting
tags get fetched.

I also think that we probably need to update our release-manager
documentation to include "when merging the release branch back to trunk,
tag the release number".