Should selftest success depend on verbosity?

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 04:27:54 BST 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 8:06 PM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com>wrote:

> Are you using the line written on stdout to determine what test is
> running? IIRC that uses the 'progress_bar' code which is designed to
> 'debounce' the output. (It only updates the screen every 200ms or so.)
> Since the test that is passing is only taking 49ms, and I would imagine
> the next few tests are also probably fast, that in the end it is still
>   test_http.TestAuth.test_wrong_pass(pycurl,HTTP/1.1,basicdigest)
> which is hanging, it just didn't update the screen first.
>
> John
> =:->

Ooh!  Yes, in the non-verbose case I am using the last thing on stdout.
And, no, I did not know about the debounce buffering.  When I ctrl-C, I
imagine the SIGHUP is not trapped so there's no chance to flush buffers.  So
your theory makes a lot of sense.

But hold on... wouldn't the failing test be the other way around?

non-verbose (uses progress bar) stalls at
   test_http.TestAuth.test_wrong_pass(pycurl,HTTP/1.1,basicdigest)
but can't be trusted because of debounce

*and*

verbose (does not use progress bar) stalls at
    test_http.TestActivity.test_get(urllib,HTTP/1.0,https)
which can be trusted because a separate line is written to stdout for every
test.

*and*

in non-verbose mode

    test_http.TestAuth.test_wrong_pass(pycurl,HTTP/1.1,basicdigest)

actually *passes*

So your theory applies but I think the test actually failing in both cases
is

    test_http.TestActivity.test_get(urllib,HTTP/1.0,https)

I'm guessing that's what you actually meant.

So now I not only have pycurl problems (did I mention I also get a few XFAIL
on pycurl?) I also have a urllib problem.

Yikes!  Time to soak brain.

-M