OS locks woes (was: Re: [MERGE] Implement bzrlib.lock with CreateFile rather than LockFileEx on win32 (operational part))

Martin (gzlist) gzlist at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 19 11:36:51 BST 2009

2009/6/19 Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net>:

> May be our dear bzr.devs already know this, but -Dlock does not show this
> kind of info, so I show you my results. As you could see many operations
> lock the dirstate 3-4 and more times. I don't think it's right, especially
> regarding to various OS locks problem on Windows.

Saw in testing that bzr.dev has 13 failures matching *lock* under
windows currently, though the bzrlib.tests.per_lock subset are fine
(including the disabled ones that fail with fcntl). I noticed Maritza
reopened the question of selftest failures on windows, which I
chickened out of doing anything about two years ago.

> C:/Temp/Тест/.bzr/checkout/dirstate
> bzr: ERROR: Could not acquire lock
> "C:/Temp/╨в╨╡╤Б╤В/.bzr/checkout/dirstate": (32, 'CreateFile', 'The process
> cannot access the
> file because it is being used by another process.')

I want to get to the mindless printing of UTF-8 to non-UTF-8 terminals
too, it's been a minor annoyance for ages.

Martin