[rfc] bug targeting in Launchpad

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Mon Jun 15 07:00:21 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 12:33 +1000, Jonathan Lange wrote:

> Rob's pointed out in other threads that the RM perhaps does too much
> wrangling. For my part, most of the wrangling I did was looking at the
> list of bugs on the 1.16 milestone and asking "is it done?", "does it
> need to be there?". There would have been less wrangling were the list
> shorter & more clearly focused.

Yes. Further, perhaps the list should have been empty! I think that
looking at pending work is an ongoing task not a release management
task.

Things that we'll slip the release for should be the only bugs that the
RM sees or cares about.

> Also, I think it's important that there be one canonical list of all
> release blockers. It sucks to have to look at bundlebuggy

Nothing in BB has the metadata about release blocking.

> , code reviews,

Ditto.

>  the mailing list *and* the bug tracker to find them.

These two matter; but the former is a coordination point for the latter
as much as anything, I think.

>  A policy
> like "if it's targeted to the milestone, it's a release blocker; if
> it's not, then it's not" would be marvelous helpful.

Makes sense to me.

-Rob