1.16 Release

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Jun 11 06:00:02 BST 2009

2009/6/11 John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com>:
>> Its noise IMO, because we are likely if not definitely going to do a
>> bump when we make the format be advertised as stable, to ensure that
>> only good code is reading and writing to it.

I spoke to Robert a bit about this, and (he's going to file a bug with
the details) essentially we may want to use a later format before 2.0
to indicate some constraints on the network stream.  So then old
servers would refuse to deal with the repository, rather than possibly
streaming it incorrectly to new clients.

I'm inclined to think this is better handled by having clients detect
that the server is old and either refuse, or fall back to something
safer.  But we don't really have to decide now, the key thing is that
we still have the option to rev the format later.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>