[RFC] make -n0 the default for log -or- make annotate and similar commands calculate merged revs

Andrew Bennetts andrew.bennetts at canonical.com
Wed Jun 10 12:34:02 BST 2009

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > When we annotate a file, we show a dotted revno on most-or-many lines.
> >
> > However,
> > bzr log | less
> > /<revno>
> >
> > Won't find that revision.
>
> > I think this is a bug. Either annotate should do more work, so that what
> > it shows is findable, or log show be showing it.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion on annotate's text-based UI. It's far more
> interesting to use gannotate or qannotate than the command line version.
> To begin with, there's no need to run log separately because the
> revision information is displayed the moment you click on the line.
>
> As far as log goes, I don't think having an "interesting" id - one that
> you *know* is a merge revision 99% of the time - justifies changing the
> default for log. If I run "ls ~ | grep bazaar.conf", I'm hardly
> surprised that it doesn't find it in subdirectories.

This is perhaps a tangential issue, perhaps not:

None of the annotate text UI, gannotate, or qannotate address a use case I
commonly have: when in trunk did this line change?  The dotted revno only
gives me a lower bound for that answer, which is barely useful.

It's very good that they can tell me the original revision that changed a
line, but I frequently also (or only!) wanted to know when it changed in a
particular branch (typically bzr.dev).

-Andrew.