[RFC] history editing vs history presentation

Talden talden at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 02:58:49 BST 2009

> 2. Treat the history editing as a kind of meta-history which is 100%
> auditable.  The default behavior of all bzr commands could be to show the
> history-as-edited but history-aware commands would have new options to
> display the "true" meta-history along with the edited history.

This is my preference.  I am one of the people that has seen plenty of
situations where history editing would be useful.  However I think you
absolutely want to provide the means to see things unaltered in such a
way that you can understand the history editing that occurred.

At my workplace we have needed, several times, to delve deep into
history (7+ years) to understand how something occurred - and in
several cases we've hit history situations that we'd like to have
corrected to prevent repeat misunderstandings.  Given the opportunity
we'd clean up history close to the occurrence more often.

--
Talden