Trimming bzr package size

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Tue Jun 9 07:38:12 BST 2009

Brad Schick wrote:
> On 6/8/2009 10:35 PM, Brad Schick wrote:
>> I am deploying bzr 1.15 on Ubuntu Linux systems and noticed that the PPA
>> for bzr 1.15 is rather large for a command-line tool (currently just
>> over 5MB).
> I just noticed that the bzr debian package contains many tests. Seems
> like this should be part of the source distribution and not part of the
> standard install. After install, /usr/share/pyshared/bzrlib/tests is 6.7M.

You can run the test suite with "bzr selftest", and many parts of bzrlib
import bzrlib.tests, so removing them all would be more complicated than
just "rm -rf bzrlib/tests".

Not that it's a bad idea, necessarily... Just sayin' that it wouldn't be
completely trivial to do.

> For comparison, the .deb for Mercurial is 86KB. That would be a nice
> target for bazaar. git-core is also rather large since it is composed of
> 125+ separate executables, many of which are 795K on disk for some reason.

FWIW, all of those git executables are hardlinks, so they don't actually
use much disk space. Unless the package manager actually makes them
different files.

BTW, do git and hg's debs include all of the docs and tests?