Bazaar Explorer prototype showing suggested Bazaar menu for IDEs

Philippe Lhoste PhiLho at GMX.net
Sat Jun 6 09:26:55 BST 2009

On 06/06/2009 09:40, Ben Finney wrote:
> Again with the hyperbole: “many of whom cannot work” without an IDE?
> The meaning is obscured by this statement that is trivially false on the
> face of it. What do you mean, then, by “cannot”?

I can say that I see this in the JavaFX forum: lot of people there use
only NetBeans to code, compile, test and package JavaFX programs, and
are lost when I mention the command line compiler, runtime and packager...
I use exclusively those along with my favorite editor (with a GUI!),
because it is fast and lightweight,, (particularly on my old, low memory
computers!) but I don't expect other people to go out of their IDE...

It is probably the same (or worse) for .NET programmers, who cannot live
without Visual Studio.
Or even for Java programmers not mastering Ant or similar build tool:
without help, compiling a large Java project only with javac is a
nightmare! ;-) (At work, we did that with a bunch of makefiles, switched
to a complex, customized Ant script, but I bet most people just use
Eclipse or NetBeans to do the work).

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France