[rfc] bug handling priorities

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat May 30 03:50:48 BST 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 06:00:32PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Martin Pool, and lo! it spake thus:

> we'll be better placed to tackle them when other queues are emptier,

So, that would be "never"   :p

> Maybe you can help by triaging or answering some bugs, or answering
> the open questions?

I do when I can.  Unfortunately, before even doing anything bzrish,
I'm already desperately combing ebay for somebody selling an extra 6
hours in the day.  And I'm confident I'm not alone in this, so please
don't read me as saying either "$SOMEBODY isn't putting enough time
into this" or even necessarily "$SOMEBODY is putting time into the
wrong parts of this".  I'm just unconvinced that adjusting guidelines
for how/when bugs get triaged is really going to fill in any major
holes in our process.

And really, if more info is needed on a bug, _ask right away_, even if
it's not gonna get looked at in detail for 6 months.  6 months from
now, the reporter will have forgotten all about the details.  Might as
well just close incomplete bugs more than a week old and say "file a
new bug with more info if you remember enough or it happens again".

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net