[rfc] bug handling priorities

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Fri May 29 07:10:05 BST 2009

2009/5/29 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>:
> Ben Finney writes:
>  > Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> writes:
>  >
>  > >  * https://answers.launchpad.net/bzr - I like this compared to list
>  > > posts because it makes it clear what's resolved or not
>
> If you had a separate -users list, you could have a convention that
> would be used by the answers team, like
>
>    Subject: [Answered] How do I do XYZ with Bazaar?
>
> Not recommending this over the web-based method (although personally I
> do prefer mail to web channels).

I like things that at least integrate with mail too.  Maybe we should
do this, but the thing is that questions aren't always solved when
people think they are: users may want more information and they
probably won't consistently trim off the tag.  Of course you can kind
of imply this from seeing who's had the last word, even without the
subject tag.

> BTW: It's not obvious at a glance what the difference between
> "answered" and "solved" is.

I agree it's unobvious, at least until you use the system.  I can't
think off hand how to make it better.  The difference is that solved
means the user acknowledged it's solved.
<https://help.launchpad.net/Answers/AskingForHelp>

> You also ought to get rid of the
> "invalid" category -- you might as well name it "stupid"!  The only
> thing that should be invalid is spam and/or misdirected questions.
> Alternatively rename to "misdirected" (which in the case of spam is
> euphemism out the wazoo, but oh well).

Invalid shouldn't be used for real questions, I agree.  It's not easy
to set a question to that state, but sometimes it's accurate:
duplicates, requests for free CDs, and one which is literally "please
delete this question".

> C'mon, Ben, you know that is a technical restriction that is supposed
> to be relaxed within a few months at the latest.

I asked about that again at UDS just to confirm, and yes, it will be done.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>