Is it possible to delete a branch from repository?

Olin Shivers olin.bazaar.7ia at shivers.mail0.org
Tue May 19 15:25:49 BST 2009

Wow, this seems like a show-stopper to me for using bazaar. It means that I
can't cheaply make a branch under a shared repo, play around with it, then
kill it after merging any useful elements back into a longer-lived branch --
or just conclude it was a bad idea and kill it, period.

I really like the shared-repo feature of bazaar. It means that I can incarnate
multiple points in the repo's history DAG in my real filesystem, then interact
with both of them using normal filesystem tools. In git, I have to

- time-multiplex my working directory between the two points of interest,
  switching back & forth using reset;

- use git-enabled tools that are capable of reaching into the repo's
  virtual filesystem (e.g., git-cat & git-diff, instead of cat & diff); or

- copy the entire repo to make my sandbox branch. This has an unpleasant cost:
  I pay a space cost of n * (history + working-dir), instead of
  history + n * working-dir. And I have to replicate doing pulls into
  both repos.

Bazaar's shared-repo, on the other hand, encourages me to have multiple
sandboxes, that all partake in a common history DAG. This has nice sharing
benefits.

But, again, if I can't throw away experiments when I'm done, my repo will
accumulate irrelevant, inaccessible garbage monotonically over time, and my
only remedy is to hand-gc by attempting to hand-copy the live branch structure
under the repo to a new repo -- very awkward.

I guess the good news is that in 2009 all of the major DVCS's are evolving
at a furious rate, so there's hope that if I check back in a year, bazaar
will have acquired a GC feature.
    -Olin