[RFC] Default to urllib http implementation.

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Tue May 19 04:29:49 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 19:47 -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> I don't understand.  Any SSL connection should prevent man-in-the-middle
> attacks, right?

No, because

> I would *not* want to turn off the host certificate check; that defeats the
> point of using a secure connection in the first place.  I would want to
> instead *trust* the server certificate.

is what prevents the man-in-the-middle attack.

[ie, you had it right]

SSL provides confidentiality between endpoints. You have to go further
to establish the endpoint you are talking to is who you think it is.
That part has ever been the cumbersome part of asymmetric cryptography
and public key infrastructure.

AfC
Sydney