Coloured diff/log by default

Daniel Clemente dcl441-bugs at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 00:33:49 BST 2009

I'm wondering why, if Bazaar is meant to be usable, doesn't it default to the nicest output formats.

1.  „added lines“=green  and „removed lines“=red  makes a diff easier and faster to understand.

  So: why isn't „bzr diff“ an alias to „bzr cdiff“?

2. But we also probably want „bzr cdiff >file.patch“ NOT to write colour codes to the file… unless you specify „bzr cdiff --color=always >file“, of course. Bzr can already detect if there's a terminal (bug 242115).

  Now, --color=always is the default. There's also --color=auto and --color=never

  Why isn't --color=auto the default instead of „always“?

3. „log“ can also use a different color for headers.

4. „bzr vis“ should always show coloured output in diffs

-- Daniel

PS: these four suggestions are for instance what git does, and it feels nicer in this way