RIO benchmark results

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue May 12 04:12:39 BST 2009

2009/5/12 Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net>:
> I asked Jelmer to put together a patch which exposed his proposed rio
> revision serializer as a "dev7" format. I converted Emacs to both dev6
> and dev7 and ran my usual "common operations" benchmark across the 2
> branches. Results attached.
>
> In summary, log and some other operations slow down, so I don't think it
> will fly in it's current form.

Your benchmark script and the colored output is so cool.

> Branch:unshared 200.6 422.5 bzr branch $work_basename repo/${work_basename}

That was a bit surprising to me.  Could it really be spending so much
time reading and writing revision texts that it more than doubles the
time to copy the whole repository?

I'd suspect it was using an inter-format fetch, except that you did
say you'd done the conversion first.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>