Why Bazaar is not used in many project hosting sites?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun May 10 07:44:36 BST 2009

Martin Pool wrote:
> 2009/5/10 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
>> fedorahosted:
>>
>> git -- 265
>> svn -- 76
>> hg -- 35
>> bzr -- 5 (of which two are mine)
>> mtn -- 1 (upstream for this project has finally consented to switch to a
>> different SCM, so we're dropping monotone support)
>>
>> There are two factors to bear in mind: unlike sourceforge, etc, we
>> launched with all of these (except monotone).  So we don't have skew due
>> to supporting git first, then svn, then hg, etc.
>>
>> Even though fedorahosted is open to any open source project, it does
>> tend to attract a lot of projects with developers who are from Fedora.
>> Fedora has a lot of people who are familiar with git and svn already.
>> OTOH, the same might be true of open source in general where there are a
>> lot of project hosting sites that offer svn (and now git) and fewer that
>> offer bazaar....
>
> There is a degree of assortative mating here, where people or projects
> related to Fedora are going to tend to choose Fedorahosted, > and those
> associated with Ubuntu or MySQL etc Launchpad and Bazaar.

Very true.  Fedorahosted doesn't choose an scm for people though.  So
although I think you're right about it being skewed towards the Fedora
developers :-(, it's not skewed towards git because it's on
fedorahosted.  It's showing a definite preference of Fedora developers
for git.

> Launchpad hosts 7384 projects in Bazaar <https://code.launchpad.net/>
> with some 30,000 branches.  (There is a long tail of small or inactive
> projects.)

<nod>.  fedorahosted has a policy of reaping inactive projects because
it was explicitly set up to not be like sourceforge....  Although
project users have been fighting about whether to change that policy
with the fedorahosted admin (with the result that reaping currently is
on hold).

>  We can't compare the percentages because bzr's the only
> option for hosting on Launchpad, though you can get some data from the
> fact that there are 1000 branches mirrored from cvs and svn.  (git
> imports will be coming soon based on bzr-git.)

Cool.  So does that mean that there's in the neighborhood of 6384
projects using bzr as their primary SCM?  Or are some of those other
projects being manually mirrored from git, hg, etc?

-Toshio