Why Bazaar is not used in many project hosting sites?

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Sat May 9 21:02:40 BST 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Canol Gokel <canol at canol.info> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My question is that why most of the big project hosting sites does not
> support
> Bazaar while they support Git and Mercurial? The ones I'm aware of are
> Savannah,
> Google Code and ActiveState... Also there are project hosting sites which
> provides only Git or Mercurial source control. While the only project
> hosting
> sites I'm aware of which provide Bazaar support is Launchpad and
> SourceForge.
>
> I actually asked this question in #bzr a few weeks ago but didn't get a
> satisfying answer. After reading that ActiveState will also support Git and
> Mercurial but not Bazaar, a few minutes ago, I thought I should ask it
> again.
>
> Is supporting Bazaar hard for technical reasons? Or it is just not well
> advertised or something? I'm using Bazaar for a few months and I'm very
> satisfied with it so far but the idea that I'm stuck with Launchpad and
> SourceForge both of which I don't quite like as much as Bazaar, makes me
> thinking of learning Mercurial or Git while I haven't gone too far with
> Bazaar.

I can't answer your question.  I've wondered the same thing.  All I can say
is that bzr works well for the 10,000+ files projects I work on.  But here's
something to consider.  I suspect the situation might change soon.  Have you
read about nested branches coming soon to bzr?  As far as I know, bzr is the
only vcs to embrace this idea in ways which will greatly enhance the
interoperability of vcs systems.  This will make bzr the natural choice for
hosting big projects which need to combine code from svn and git
repositories.  (using the bzr-git and bzr-svn plugins)

I took a hard look at mercurial but it's way of merging makes some of my
common use-cases error prone.  Read up on how mercurial supports move/rename
and make sure its right for you before using it for real work.  Git is super
powerful (and not nearly as hard to learn as some people accuse) but it is
an messy mixture of script and compiled code.  Sooner or later, that spells
trouble to me.  (Since I'm not Linus Torvolads, I can't just rewrite
everything when I have a problem!)  Bzr has a robust consistent design and
clean easy-to-follow implementation.  It is powerful and amazingly easy to
use.  Combine this with core developers who are actually focused on reaching
out to users and over time I think bzr will be very widely used for big
projects.

-M