problem understanding "bzr diff"

Eduardo O. Padoan eduardo.padoan at gmail.com
Mon May 4 16:07:11 BST 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Toni Mueller <support at oeko.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to understand the difference between 'bzr diff ...' and 'bzr diff
> --old ...' for showing the difference between two branches. I thought
>
> $ bzr diff /other/branch

By default, 'bzr diff' shows the differences between the current state
of the working tree and the last revision. If no path is given, bzr
will search for a working tree on the current directory.
What you are asking with this command is 'show me what I have changed
since last commic on /other/branch'.

> should show all differences between the branches, but only when I add
> '--old' or '--new' do I see many differences. Without using one of
> these options, I can see a much smaller diff. I find it even more
> confusing that the smaller diff is not contained in the larger diff.

See above. You need to tell bzr that what you want is 'show me the
diff between this branch here and some other at...'.

--
    Eduardo de Oliveira Padoan
http://importskynet.blogspot.com

"Distrust those in whom the desire to punish is strong."
   -- Goethe, Nietzsche, Dostoevsky