Making branches and repos (was Re: Better name for dpush wanted)

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Apr 29 18:47:06 BST 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 02:14:24AM +0900 I heard the voice of
Stephen J. Turnbull, and lo! it spake thus:

> It sort of makes sense, but "branch" takes a source branch and the
> target must not exist,

That's an existing bias, and a bug.  It would require fixing the bug
(which should happen anyway), and changing that bias.  But any
reforming of these things will involve changing some bias; your
collapse of init{,-repo} does as well.  And I think that bias change
is much bigger.  A blanket "To make a branch, use the 'branch'
command" has a nice consistency to it.  I think collapsing init into
branch, and renaming init-repo to init (well, adding a short alias)
can actually work fairly cleanly...   I'll let that thought stew until
I'm a lot less tired though.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net