Better name for dpush wanted

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Wed Apr 29 08:49:44 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 17:24 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> >> Putting my "better UI" hat on, I'm thinking of writing a spec called
> >> something like "one concept, one command". It would suggest things
> >> like turning init-repo into init --repo.
> >
> > I don't like this idea at all.  You wind up turning one command into
> > several commands with no clear usage statement, because it varies
> > according to what "actual" command you're doing.  You get boatloads of
> > options that can only be used when particular other "options" (that are
> > really subcommands) are used.

> > I also don't see how "one concept, one command" applies to turning
> > init-repo into init --repo.  To me, they're not the same concept at all.
>
> Initialisation is one concept - it ought to be one command. Compare
> info, upgrade & reconfigure. This will become more important when what
> we want to initialise is not just a branch nor a repo, but a combination
> of the two (e.g. colocated branches).

I appreciate what you're trying to get at here, but I think its
important not to polish the wrong things. Less things to initialise is
much more important than one command to initialise any of them. (And, is
branching also initialising? If so do we have init --branch?)

IME concepts like 'one concept one command' are suitable for API design
but not for UI design. I've seen a few such things over the years, and
to date none of them have worked out.

Much more important is to go back and reevaluate the decisions - like
the one to behave like RCS - that have led us to a serious impass in the
UI. And with the things *causing* UI grief removed we will have a much
simpler problem to solve higher up.

Abstractions leak.

-Rob