Will re-basing support be added into Bazaar core ?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Apr 22 11:25:04 BST 2009

Andrew Bennetts writes:

 > What I do claim is that rebase alters the history of a branch.  In
 > bzr (the topic of this mailing list) this is clearly true, as there
 > is no way to make a revision part of a branch except via the
 > branch's ancestry.  So performing an operation on the branch that
 > results in a new ancestry that does not contain that revision is
 > removing history from that branch.  You could add a revision
 > property to name a revision not in the ancestry, but that won't
 > automatically lead to those revisions being copied by push, pull,
 > send or merge, so they may as well not be there, because other
 > people will never receive those revisions.

While reading John's reply about previous head as a property and
thinking how it sounds similar to the git practice of keeping reflogs,
etc, it occured to me that an important difference in patterns of
thought here is that git users generally do not think of history as
being "contained in branches," while you pretty clearly do.

Rather, history is *contained* in repositories, and *organized* as
branches (and a few other, mostly rather singular, constructs).  Note
that in git clone operates on a repository, and the history
transportation commands (fetch, pull, push) all will deal with
multiple refs, including an --all flag that naturally transports all
the heads.