[DRAFT][RFC] Migrating to rich roots

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Wed Apr 22 01:10:18 BST 2009

So, to enable dogfooding dev6-rich-root we need to have our branches be
rich roots.

I'd like to propose that we start with a plugin - say bzrtools - first,
to get any remaining issues with migrating out in the open and fixed.

The basic process for project appears to be:

1) Do a test migration of a branch, make sure bzr check passes and it
converts ok and bzr check passes afterwards. Gather timing information
at this point.
2) Schedule a migration time and publish this broadly.
3) Users migrate their own branches before this time, including lp
hosted branches and particularly stacked branches.
4) well known branches are backed up
5) well known branches are migrated
5a) if issues occurred, the migration is rolledback.

So for bzrtools, its takes about 30 seconds to check and convert.

I'm proposing bzrtools as the test because its one of the oldest plugins
around :). Aaron - are you ok with moving it to rich roots? And if so,
care to set a date - e.g. next tuesday @ some UTC time of your choosing?

-Rob