Will re-basing support be added into Bazaar core ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Apr 20 09:47:32 BST 2009

David Timothy Strauss wrote:
> ----- "Russel Winder" <russel.winder at concertant.com> wrote:
>

>> For me the issue is having all my changes on top of mainline as it is
>> easier to manage both conceptually and when it comes time to commit
>> from feature branch to mainline.
>>

> My concern with this argument is that keeping (read: rebasing) your changes on top of the history is not, in itself, an end.

Yes, that's the core point - for me (and Russel as well if I understand
his workflow correctly), changes on top of history *is *the end. That's
the whole purpose, because it means that understanding what's happening
in the history is easier. The purpose of rebase is to alter the history
to make it prettier. If you think that's useless, then rebase is useless.

It is a tradeoff: I don't see any way to get both "every commit is
tested" and "altering patch order" at the same time, they are pretty
much antithetic. I prefer giving up the every commit is tested (as long
as the merge into the current mainline is tested), and keeping rebasing,
but that's a preference. Given bzr developers POV (which is opposite to
my own preference stated here), it sounds logical to avoid rebase as a
core feature.

cheers,

David