Changing the UI of checkout

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sun Apr 19 15:44:10 BST 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:18:58PM +0100 I heard the voice of
Martin Pool, and lo! it spake thus:

> Is there actually a technical difference between heavyweight
> checkouts and bound branches, or is it just reaching the same
> configuration through two different UIs?

In intention?  Absolutely.

With bound branches, you have *2* branches, that you want to
[generally] keep in sync.  With a checkout, you have *1* branch that
you want a working tree for.  Heavy just means you want to save having
to go to the 'master' (because it's across a network or somewhere
slow) when it's avoidable by caching data 'locally'.

I maintain that our biggest problem with heavy checkouts is that we
don't HAVE heavy checkouts; we have bound branches masquerading as
heavy checkouts, and describe them to people by mixing the two cases
willy-nilly.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net