Better name for dpush wanted

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Fri Apr 17 07:17:48 BST 2009

2009/4/17 Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at vernstok.nl>:

> If the user wants to just push to a non-Bazaar branch they should *not*
> be using this option. They should just be using "bzr push".
>
> "bzr dpush" is only for users who want to push to a foreign vcs but
> don't want to leave any references to Bazaar (e.g. bzr-related file or
> revision properties in svn); in other words, they only want to push that
> data that can be natively represented in the foreign vcs.

I'd still specify it as an option (like --lossy) to push.

1. It seems likely you're going to want to always turn this on for a
particular destination repository, if that repository's policy is
there should be no foreign metadata.  If it's an option we can set it
in locations.conf and then not remember to use it every time.  (I's
possible we can have an option that says "when I say push really do
push-lossy" but then you're effectively giving this behaviour to
push.)

2. If this is going to be used only in exceptional circumstances, I
think it's less prominent than being a whole new top-level command.

3. It's possible (maybe unlikely) that we'd eventually want it to
apply to other commands, like maybe 'merge -d TARGET --lossy thing'.
This is a bit of a stretch maybe but it seems at least plausible that
it's not really specific to push.

4. I think it's reasonable to document that if you use this option it
will mutate the source.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>