Better name for dpush wanted

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Fri Apr 17 04:42:19 BST 2009

Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> writes:

> Even in that case, the push still will have been lossy from the POV of
> other users of the branch (the additional data is only present
> locally, and not all users will have that data). So I think "lossy" is
> an appropriate description for this kind of push.

It might be an accurate *description*, but that doesn't make it an
appropriate *name* for the operation. The name should be chosen so that
a user, with the desired operation in mind, will easily bring to mind
the correct command.

So, I agree with previous suggestions that the name be chosen so that it
speaks to the *purpose* of the user when invoking it. “I want this push
to be lossy” isn't something that the user will be thinking; “I want to
push to a non-Bazaar branch” seems closer to me, hence ‘--foreign’.

--
 \      “God forbid that any book should be banned. The practice is as |
  `\                  indefensible as infanticide.” —Dame Rebecca West |