[MERGE/RFC] Userdoc Driven Design on the Bazaar 2.0 UI

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Thu Apr 16 07:57:50 BST 2009

Jonathan Lange wrote:

> In an ideal world, Bazaar would share history by default. The user
> documentation wouldn't have to describe three ways of sharing history
> -- the tool would just use one of them always. The other two could
> feature as part of an Advanced Features section.

Agreed.

Stacked branches, shared repositories, "dependent branches" as I've
dubbed Mark's proposal - they are all technical answers to a problem
the user probably doesn't want to think about 99% of the time.

We arguably need to go back to what the user is setting out to do
and to give them commands focussed on that. Behind the scenes, we
can make smart choices for them *by default*, letting power users
override them when appropriate.

Here's a quick stab at that: http://bazaar-vcs.org/DraftSpecs/LocalRemoteBranchTypes.
More food for debate, if nothing else.

Ian C.