Naive questions re hard-linking repositories

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Apr 15 16:17:29 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:12:44AM -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 06:09:56PM +0300 I heard the voice of
> Marius Gedminas, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > git has clone, and git has colocated branches, but git clone doesn't
> > work on them---it clones the whole repository.  Using clone for
> > colocated branches would increase confusion, so I'd advise against
> > it.
>
> Er.  That was exactly the behavior I meant for it to have.  git clone
> == copy this bundle of branches.  bzr clone == copy this bundle of
> branches.

Good! :-)

I must have misunderstood.  When you speak of colocated branches, do you
mean the deep shared-repo setup where you have

    project/
      .bzr/
      branch1/
        file1
      branch2/
        file1

or do you mean a git-like setup where you'd have

    project/
      .bzr/
      file1

with the ability to bzr switch between branches in the same tree?  I
assumed the second option.  (And then I incorrectly assumed you were
looking for a command like 'git branch' to create a new branch, and
wanted to steal 'bzr clone' for that purpose.)

Marius Gedminas
--
Added mysterious, undocumented --scanflags and --fuzzy options.
        -- nmap 3.0 announcement