RFC: default to creating a repository directory during branch/init.

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Apr 15 16:11:15 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:29:48PM +1000 I heard the voice of
Robert Collins, and lo! it spake thus:

> If we changed 'bzr init foo' to create a shared repository
> automatically when one isn't present - like so:

That seems very unpleasantly DWIM.

> $ bzr init foo
> $ ls -a foo
> .
> ..
> .bzr
> trunk/

Now, if that were 'bzr init-repo foo', it would make more sense...

> push should do the same thing.

Dear $DEITY, no.

So now if I push to /some/path/in/a/repo, my branch is at
/some/path/in/a/repo.  But if I push to /some/path/with/no/repo, my
branch is now /some/path/with/no/repo/trunk??  That's *VERY*
unfriendly.  And chopping off a parent component and making a repo
there is too.  Giving the path implies "put the branch there, and
don't screw around anywhere else".

init is the same, really.  Making it start acting differently
depending on semi-visible outside coincidences seems like a very wrong
path.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net