[MERGE] dpush / foreign vcs testing

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Apr 15 10:07:22 BST 2009

2009/4/4 Ben Finney <ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au>:
> Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at vernstok.nl> writes:
>
>> Can you suggest a better name? I agree the current name is not very
>> clear, but I can't think of anything that covers what it does
>> better.
>>
>> dpush pushes into a foreign vcs but without storing bzr semantics
>> that can't be represented in the remote system. So in the case of
>> bzr-svn it doesn't set any bzr-specific revision or file properties.
>> In the case of git it for example doesn't store any rename
>> information.
>
> I would expect this to be an option for ‘push’. Suggestions: ‘push --foreign-clean’ or ‘push --foreign-only’

Yes, if it's "pushes but without xxxx" then an option to push seems
appropriate.  I think just 'dpush' is always going to make people
wonder what the d stands for, and whether they can or should use it
pushing to another branch - in fact yet another person just asked off
the list.

Also, it seems like if this were an option you might like to set it in
locations.conf for the url of the foreign branch, and then after
configuring that you could just use push without worrying about it.
It may be worth emitting a note explaining what's happening when
that's active (like "pushing to svn without bzr metadata" or
something).

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>