RFC: centralise registries

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Tue Apr 14 07:11:15 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 16:01 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 15:45 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
>
> > Do you have alternate suggestions to fix the problem?
>
> Putting all subclasses of something into a module in order
> to fix a performance issue just *yells* anti-pattern to me.
> I thought we wanted to break things like builtins.py apart,
> not repeat the mistake.

Thats not what I'm proposing. In point of fact the subclasses are
already in registry.py.

I'm proposing to put the _instances_ there to allow things to register
with them rather than having to load all the code in the module the
instance currently is in.

> If we need a central location of globals that always get
> loaded, I'd create a module for that called globals.py say.
> But I'd prefer that we put as little into it as necessary
> and kept things as distributed and localised across the code
> base as we can.

I'd prefer to keep things distributed too. But I want to solve the
performance issue as well.

Another way would be to change from/extend the registration facility to
use a publish-and-respond event system.

-Rob