The Jelmer "fork" of bzr.dev

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Sun Apr 12 08:09:50 BST 2009

Jelmer,

On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 23:59 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> Bazaar will already ask for the credentials only once if credentials are
> asked. The problem in this particular situation is that GET and OPTIONS
> requests (used by bzr-svn) don't require authentication while POST
> requests (tried by bzr's smart protocol client) do. We don't want Bazaar
> to ask for credentials here at all, but as the smart client gets to
> probe the URL before bzr-svn does the user will see a prompt.
>
> Perhaps Bazaar should try all formats without using authentication first
> and if there's no format that succeeded prompt the user and try the
> formats that required authentication. That's quite a lot of
> restructuring to implement properly though :-/

This all seems like Bazaar internals are getting in the way of what the
user knows to be straightforward and simple:  I know that the project at
the end of the URL is a Subversion one that I can access without
authentication.  I would say that Bazaar is failing me if its internals
start doing authentication things for a case where no authentication is
needed.

This is irritating for me as I have a script that updates all my
checkouts, branches and clones.  I know all of these require no
authentication or have authentication tokens available so that no user
interaction is needed -- so I can background the job and got on with
other stuff.  Bazaar internals are now breaking this as a user
interaction is initiated which is neither needed nor anticipated.

Basically I would say that Bazaar is currently broken on this point.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP          t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,     f: +44 8700 516 084    voip:  sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
London SW11 1EN, UK.    m: +44 7770 465 077    xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk