[rfc] shut down bazaar-commits list?

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Thu Apr 9 19:46:02 BST 2009

Martin Pool wrote:
> We have the bazaar-commits list
> <https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/bazaar-commits> to which
> some developers have their machines configured to send email every
> time they commit, thereby letting other people be aware of work that's
> not yet ready for mail.  I have occasionally got mail from Robert
> correcting bugs in code I have not yet pushed which is kind of cool
> though a bit creepy. :-)
>
> Anyhow, this list, like all mailing lists, accumulates a bit of spam
> that needs to be manually filtered, so I was wondering if we can do
> away with it and just have people subscribe to branches on Launchpad
> instead.
>
> I suspect the answer will be "no" because other people use the list
> more than I do, but I thought I'd ask anyhow.  At any rate it may be
> interesting to work out what would make this better on Launchpad.

Shrug, whatever. I don't subscribe to bazaar-commits, so it doesn't
matter to me.

> I think the drawbacks to doing it that way would be:
>
>  * not all branches are pushed, or at least there may be some delay
> before they're pushed

Worse, if you're using mirrored branches, it might be 5-6 hours before
Launchpad mirrors the branch again, finds the new revisions and sends
the emails.

(Seriously, how do I always wind up pushing to my branches 20 minutes
after the last mirror?!)