upgrade bzr.dev to rich roots?

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Wed Apr 8 23:07:57 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 08:57 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> For me personally, this would tend to have a lot of knock-on effects, as
> I have 1 shared branch between bzr + bzr plugins. I can switch that
> reasonably easily.

We could start on some plugins and work up.

> I would venture the bigger problem is the upgrade time for everyone
> working on the project. I suppose if we provide an official location for
> download, and then document moving your existing repo out of the way,
> copying from remote, and then you only need to upgrade the last few bits.

Its about 3 hours on my little laptop, end to end, to convert bzr.dev to
CHK. It should be similar or less to go to --1.9-rich-root. I don't
think this is an issue - conversions happen rarely.

> I thought stacking a non-rich-root on a rich-root was ok. Just that
> stacking an XML repo on top of a brisbane-core one would be tricky.

No, its definitely not ok. It would be nice to make that work - patches
accepted :).

> I don't know what the upgrader, etc actually handles, but considering
> that a stacked branch on top of a rich root should be ~ the same as just
> doing a "bzr branch" from a non-rich-root source to a rich-root one,
> which works just fine right now.

You won't even be able to open the branch to upgrade it if the thing you
are stacked on has upgraded before you.

-Rob