bzr-svn branches

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Apr 8 16:41:23 BST 2009

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Russel Winder wrote:
>> Jelmer,

>>> Yep. It should usually be up to date
>> OK, I may well give it a try as a drop in replacement.  Fingers
>> crossed :-)

>>> They are pending to be included in bzr.dev, but they still need to be
>>> reviewed, possibly fixed and then merged. This branch contains a
>>> "preview" of those changes.
>> Splendid.
>
>> Is there a short explanation of how you got the Subversion interaction
>> down by such a huge factor?
>

> I believe the bulk of 80s => 3s is because of "tag.fetch()".
>
> Basically, SVN doesn't have an index of what tags would exist for a
> given branch, so bzr-svn has to search the whole ancestry of the branch
> to see if any revision was turned into a tag.

Yep, exactly.

> Jelmer's update is that he changes tag.fetch() to only fetch tags for
> revisions which were actually fetched. It means that tagging an old
> revision of a branch wouldn't get fetched, but I don't know how much
> that actually happens for SVN branches, or if Jelmer provides a way to
> say "no, really, get all the tags".
Actually, those tags would be fetched, since bzr-svn looks at all tag
changes since the previous last revision of the local branch. So if the
last svn revision fetched in the local branch is "3" and svn revno "4"
created a tag "bar" in Subversion for revision 1 then that tag would be
fetched without problems.

Cheers,

Jelmer