When manually resolving directory conflicts isn't a feature

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Apr 6 12:17:08 BST 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 05:15:37PM +1200, Talden wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Mary Gardiner <mary at puzzling.org> wrote:
> > I wanted to raise this here rather than filing bugs as I have a suspicion
> > they'd be marked invalid-that's-a-feature like bug 102001.
>
> Agreed this is a bug, in that there's no convenient way of the tool
> doing the right thing

Why not shelve them automatically and tell the user how to either (a)
get them back, or (b) delete them permanently?

I believe you can have many named shelves, no?  Have special names,
e.g., unversioned-$branchname, so that when you repeatedly

  bzr switch branch1
  bzr switch branch2
  bzr switch branch1
  bzr switch branch2

those files could be stashed away and restored back into your working
dir seamlessly.

Just tossing out ideas without thinking deep design thoughts.

I remember the pain pain pain of svn switch with newly-added directories
containing svn:ignore'd files (*.pyc).  I don't want to relive that when
I eventually switch to bzr.

Marius Gedminas
--
IBM motto: "We found five vowels hiding in a corner, and we used
them _all_ for the 'eieio' instruction so that we wouldn't have to use