[MERGE] groupcompress (brisbane)

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Mon Apr 6 07:35:47 BST 2009

The attached patch covers the changes in brisbane-core
that introduce the awesome groupcompress stuff. I know
this horse has probably bolted but I wonder whether a
different name might be good to minimise any confusion
with gc=garbage-collection? Maybe multicompress,
bzrcompress or lifelessjamcompress even? :-)

Anyhow, here are the files involved in this patch:

added:
  bzrlib/_groupcompress_py.py
  bzrlib/_groupcompress_pyx.pyx
  bzrlib/delta.h
  bzrlib/diff-delta.c
  bzrlib/groupcompress.py
  bzrlib/tests/test__groupcompress.py
  bzrlib/tests/test_groupcompress.py
modified:
  .bzrignore
  bzrlib/tests/__init__.py
  bzrlib/tests/test_versionedfile.py
  bzrlib/versionedfile.py
  setup.py

I'm comfortable that this can be landed in bzr.dev without
destabilisation given most of it is new code and the
modified files are all small, obvious changes except
for test_versionedfile.py that adds a bunch of new tests.

So the areas needing attention IMO by a reviewer are:

1. the pyrex implementation of groupcompress  it's
   pretty new IIUIC so it hasn't necessarily had the
   workout the core groupcompress code has had

2. is test coverage of the new code sufficient?

We also need a final word on the GPL 2 vs GPL 2+ issue
of the C code before landing/merging this into bzr.dev.

Ian C.