When manually resolving directory conflicts isn't a feature

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Mon Apr 6 03:10:16 BST 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> While I realise it's an important feature to never have Bazaar delete files
> that it doesn't know about, this workflow is really annoying. What should I do?

Incidently, I have a whole class of problems with Bazaar that boil down to "I
add new directories all the time, and stubbornly refuse to do this only in
trunk". The trouble with adding new directories is that they shortly thereafter
get filled with unversioned files (.swp, .pyc etc etc). Using any of "bzr up",
"bzr switch" etc in such a way as to suggest that Bazaar delete these new
directories and thus the unversioned files seems to be uncharted territory.

I understand that Bazaar doesn't want to delete files that it doesn't know
enough about, but generating conflicts of the type shown in bug 175589 or bug
355964 where it panics and starts trying to version .THIS, .BASE etc files is
as frightening to me as a user as having my working tree deleted would be.

It seems reasonable on the face of it that I should be able to add new
directories in a non-trunk branch and then work in them for a while and then
switch to trunk (or whatever) but Bazaar tends to explode when I try this.

-Mary